About the Tour
The Bike Virginia Tour is an annual road bike ride that’s all about fun and exploration. The event is one of the Programs of Bike Virginia (a statewide bike advocacy and encouragement organization).
The Annual Tour
The Tour travels around the state to a new spot each year so you can learn the fascinating history and see the amazing scenery.
On the tour, riders enjoy an a variety of routes, some days we have options from 20-100 miles. Other days we offer only a single route of about 50 miles. The tour in total is 6 days (new for 2013) but you can join for a day, for a weekend or for the full event. We offer a Century (100 mile ride) on one day of the 2013 tour, and an 80 mile ride on another. (But don’t worry if that’s not your cup of tea, only about 1/3 of our riders choose to do these long routes. You won’t be alone if you enjoy any of the other routes). View all the information about the 2013 routes here…
During the day you’ll roll by beautiful farmland, manicured vineyards and even have a chance to visit interesting locations and historical spots for your rest stops. Lunch will be served to you at the end of the route. If you can’t make the entire tour, consider joining for a day or two through our “Single Day Rider” Registration option. Read more about what’s included in registration here…
Cyclists taking part in the tour will camp or book reservations in hotels. Read more about the accommodations here… There is a full schedule of entertainment and other off-the-bike activities are an exciting part of our bike tour.
The Bike Virginia Tour is something you’ll never forget! Our riders come back year after year to see their friends from around the globe and to explore new regions. Join us and you’ll be sure to make memories that last a lifetime. Visit the gallery and watch our video to see what all the buzz is about.
The Bike Virginia Tour is organized by Bike Virginia, a non-profit organization that works to improve biking across the state.
We use funds generated by the tour to support projects each year across the state that improve biking. Some of the work we do:
- Promote bicycle tourism for rural and urban communities
- Ask elected federal, state, and local leaders to support bicycling- recreational and transportation
- Help businesses become more bike friendly
- Advise communities on being better for biking
- Help Virginia see the benefits of supporting bicycling from tourism to wellness to recreation.
- Give grants for bike projects
- Consult with communities that want to offer bike events and programs
- And, inspire people to get out on the bike so they can experience the simple joy of riding.