Bike Virginia Tour in 2020 to Feature 1,600 Cyclists in Visit to Farmville Region for Event
Annual Event Showcasing Virginia’s Beauty Now in 33rd Year
August 12, 2019 (Farmville, VA) – The Bike Virginia Tour is pleased to partner with the Farmville-Prince Edward County Virginia region for the 2020 Bike Virginia Tour, the 33rd year of the annual cycling event. Farmville last hosted the event in 1997, and previously for the very first year of the tour in 1988.
The next Bike Virginia Tour will be held June 19-24, 2020 in the Farmville-Prince Edward region and features 1,600 cyclists of all skills and abilities for six days of touring the beautiful Virginia countryside and visiting many places of interest.
The 2020 tour will begin on Friday June 19 in Farmville with the first three days being hosted at the Wilck’s Lake Park. The second half of the tour, starting on Monday June 22, is hosted by Twin Lakes State Park and will conclude at 4pm on Wednesday June 24, 2020. Guests will stay in hotels, inns, homes, and camp at the event headquarters during their visit. Lodging for the tour can be based in Farmville or the surrounding community for the entire six days so cyclists will not have to move if they choose that lodging. Camping cyclists will move one time on Monday morning June 22 if they choose to camp at the event headquarters.
The town of Farmville and the two host park locations were selected based on their appeal to a wide range of participants, access to safe cycling roadways, proximity to lodging, and available space to accommodate the size of event operations.
“The region offers exactly what touring cyclists want: friendly hospitality, great scenery, and amenities such as lodging, food, and historic tourism opportunities. That combined with the park layouts at Wilck’s Lake Island and Twin Lakes State Park makes a great fit for our event” said Dr. Kim Perry. “Bike Virginia moves to different regions each year, we select the location by working with community officials and evaluate the region’s services and appeal for participants that come from all over the US and international destinations.”
The area is rich with history and outdoor recreation including:
- The High Bridge Trail State Park – Rail trail
- Farmville Blueway Paddle Trail
- Sandy River Adventure Park
- Appomatox Court House National Park
- Longwood University and Hampden-Sydney College.
- Charming Downtown Farmville, anchored by Green Front Furniture with its furniture-packed renovated tobacco warehouses, offers a one-of-a-kind shopping experience.
- Saiilor’s Creek Battlefield Historical State Park commemorate two of the final battles of the Civil War.
- The R.R. Moton Museum tells the story of a 1951 student strike that helped ignite the Civil Rights era.
Farmville is centrally located in Virginia, just …
- 65 miles west of Richmond
- 48 miles east of Lynchburg
- 70 miles south of Charlottesville
- 150 miles from Washington, D.C. and Virginia Beach
For more information, visit the Town of Farmville website at Farmvilleva.com and https://visitfarmville.com/welcome-to-farmville-virginia/
Our organization is very excited to be partnering with the Farmville-Prince Edward County Virginia region to create a great vacation tour experience for our 2020 guests.
Registration for the event opens December 1, 2019 and continues until sold out at 1,600 riders or the event start date. Fees will be announced soon. Discounts offered for early registration.